January 2, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Palisades Medical Center
January 9, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Hackensack UMC at Pascack Valley
January 16, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Hackensack UMC Fitness & Wellness
January 23, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
January 23, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Holiday Inn Fort Lee
February 6, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Courtyard Jersey City Newport, Conference Rooms 5&6
February 13, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Hackensack UMC at Pascack Valley
February 20, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | Hackensack UMC Fitness & Wellness
February 27, 2019 | 6:30-8:00PM | St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
All seminars are Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30PM
Gastric Sleeve Near Queens, New York
Experience safe and dramatic weight loss with our bariatric experts. Visit one of our offices close to Queens, NY!
Gastric Sleeve | Sleeve Gastrectomy
At Advanced Laparoscopic Associates, you will enjoy the expertise and care of highly qualified, board-certified surgeons. Serving New Jersey, New York, and surrounding areas, we are committed to focused and personalized care to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
What is a Gastric Sleeve?
The most commonly performed laparoscopic bariatric procedure is called gastric sleeve. Sleeve surgery, or vertical sleeve gastrectomy, involves surgically narrowing the stomach. It is an innovative new surgical solution for people who are morbidly obese, defined as having a body mass index over 40 or 35 if you have weight-related conditions.
In this procedure, approximately 80-90% of the rounded, larger part of the stomach is removed so that the remaining part of the stomach takes the shape of a tube or sleeve. The tube-shaped stomach is sealed closed with staples or sutures. The remaining stomach is permanently reduced to a fraction (10-20%) of its original size.
After Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
In the right hands, this is a very safe procedure. Our results are consistently the best in New Jersey and rank among the very top in the country. Most patients lose 60% or more of their extra weight. As a result of this weight loss, many patients achieve greatly improved health following their gastric sleeve procedure.
- Permanent weight loss solution
- Feel full after smaller portions
- Normal digestion and absorption
- Performed by board-certified surgeons
- Minimally invasive laparoscopy
- No need for protein supplements
The Sleeve Advantage
One major advantage of sleeve gastrectomy is that it also removes stomach cells that produce the hunger hormone, ghrelin. By drastically reducing ghrelin production, the patient’s appetite and sensation of hunger is dramatically reduced or eliminated.
- No intestinal bypass or foreign body required
- No adjustments needed
- Weight loss equal to or better than bypass or band
- Safest for patients over 400 pounds
- Leaves intestinal tract intact
- Allows normal stomach function
Gastric Sleeve Recovery
- Surgery takes approximately 1-2 hours to perform.
- On average, our patients leave the hospital one to two days after gastric sleeve surgery.
- Return to work varies from one to three weeks, depending on the type of work.
- No heavy lifting (more than 10lbs) is allowed for four to six weeks after surgery.
Post op Care & Follow-up
- You will have the support of our dedicated team of medical professionals who will work with you on nutrition, exercise, psychological, and physical therapy needs both before surgery and for the long-term.
- Patients will be on a clear liquid diet for the first 2 weeks immediately following gastric sleeve surgery and then advance to a pureed diet for one week. These foods will be very soft so as to pass through the small, newly formed pouch. The third week consists of soft solid foods.
- At six months after the surgery, most patients will be on their long-term maintenance diet, which is more or less what and how they will eat for the rest of their lives. The maintenance gastric sleeve diet for the most part consists of regular table foods, but in small portions. Patients describe their meals as child-sized, and they often do not finish what they are served. Generally become comfortable eating these small meals and almost always say the loss of the ability to enjoy large meals or certain foods is more than compensated for by being able to successfully control their weight.
- Patients may expect to lose approximately 60% of their excess body weight during the first two years following surgery.
- Many co-morbid conditions, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obstructive sleep apnea, resolve as early as one week to 12 months after having Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery. Additionally, patients experienced resolution rates for that are similar to resolution rates for other restrictive procedures such as gastric banding.
As with all medical procedures, there can be potential risks of unforeseen, unknown, or adverse reactions. Please discuss your questions and expectations about the gastric sleeve surgery with us so that we can evaluate the benefits versus any possible risks.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Queens, NY Area
For additional information, all prospective patients are invited to attend a free educational seminar.
Seminars are a great source of information about the procedure you are considering, and they allow you to meet the surgeons as well as ask any questions you may have. You may also have the opportunity to meet some post-operative patients.