The Lap-Band and gastric sleeve are bariatric surgery procedures that can help you lose excess weight. While both procedures are safe and effective, it helps to know the differences and benefits of each so you can make an informed decision when you’re ready to lose weight and become healthier.
What Is the Lap-Band?
The Lap-Band, also known as a gastric band, is a small, silicone band that fits around the upper part of your stomach. It is used to restrict the amount of food you can eat in one sitting by creating a smaller stomach pouch. Over time, the Lap-Band can help you lose excess weight by limiting your food intake.
The Lap-Band is adjustable, meaning it can be tightened or loosened at any time. A few weeks after it has been surgically placed around your stomach, the band is filled with a saline solution via a tiny port in your abdominal wall. If at any time you feel that you need to lose more weight, your surgeon can add saline solution to tighten the band.
The Lap-Band is one of the only reversible weight-loss procedures available, as the band can be removed from your stomach after you’ve reached your weight-loss goals.
What Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
The gastric sleeve, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is another type of restrictive weight-loss procedure. In gastric sleeve surgery, your doctor removes about 80% of your stomach to leave behind a smaller stomach pouch about the size of a banana. This restricts the amount of food you can eat at one time so you can lose extra weight.
Gastric sleeve surgery is a non-reversible procedure, as it involves the surgical removal of part of your stomach. However, this bariatric surgery can help ensure you lose excess weight and maintain a healthy weight for life, as long as you commit to exercising regularly and eating healthy foods.
What Are the Benefits Of Lap-Band Surgery?
Lap-Band surgery offers a wide range of benefits for those who want to lose excess weight. Benefits of the Lap-Band include:
- It is a reversible procedure, meaning your surgeon can remove the gastric band at any time.
- It can be adjusted as needed to help you lose excess weight or to help you feel more comfortable, such as during pregnancy.
- It does not cause malabsorption or increase the risk of nutritional deficiency like gastric bypass surgery.
- This bariatric surgery is minimally invasive and offers a fast recovery time.
- It can help you lose up to 50% of your extra weight over three to five years.
What Are the Benefits Of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery is the most popular weight-loss surgery worldwide.
Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery include:
- It has an extremely low long-term complication rate compared with the Lap-Band, which is removed from more than 50% of patients at some point.
- It is associated with greater rates of weight loss than the Lap-Band.
- It often affects the body’s level of hunger hormones to help reduce cravings and overeating.
- It is a permanent weight-loss surgery that eliminates your need to return to the weight-loss clinic regularly for adjustments.
- It is a restrictive weight-loss procedure and does not cause malabsorption like gastric bypass surgery.
- It can be performed as a minimally invasive procedure to result in less downtime and a faster recovery.
Lose Excess Weight With Advanced Laparoscopic Associates
If you’re ready to lose excess weight and become healthier, our team at Advanced Laparoscopic Associates (ALA) can meet with you to discuss all your available bariatric surgery options. We offer the Lap-Band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, duodenal switch, and the gastric balloon to help you reach your weight-loss goals.
Contact us today at (201) 646-1121 or request an appointment to begin your weight-loss journey.